Uncertainty abounds as consumer purchasing habits shift due to the COVID-19 pandemic and economic crisis. Some businesses have opted to freeze their hiring or reduce their workforce, hoping to weather the storm. Certain industries, however, have managed to pivot or experienced growth, requiring them to ramp up their operations. As the holiday season nears, brands and their supply chain partners are doing their best to evaluate demand and forecast in the constantly evolving environment – influencing their seasonal hiring strategies.
The time for celebration, togetherness, and creating memories will most certainly look a little different this year, for individuals and businesses alike. The National Retail Federation is asking shoppers to “shop safe, shop early” (NRF), creating new traditions for the season. For employers expecting a sales boost through ecommerce, BOPIS, or delivery, it’s crunch time. Grocery stores, manufacturers, logistics services and even retailers are ramping up hiring for the undeniably biggest shopping season of the year.
The need for quality seasonal workers is high this year. UPS plans to hire 100,000 extra employees in the 2020 holiday season (Business Insider), demonstrating the surge expected over the next few months. With a focus on staying above water, it’s more crucial than ever for human resources and recruitment professionals to put people first. For those planning to expand their workforce, it’s time to move fast, be transparent, and hire efficiently to ensure a seamless process for both the candidates and internal hiring teams.
For recruiters and hiring managers, it’s crucial to begin the seasonal hiring process right away. Utilize the proper tools like an easy-to-use, affordable ATS and its features to scale quickly. If the recruitment workflow is manual or the current hiring software is frustrating to use, don’t hesitate to make the switch. It’s imperative to move quickly to fill the seasonal candidate pipeline – time is your enemy. The right applicant tracking software will offer easy setup, a streamlined job requisition process, and convenient integrations.
Set expectations with potential hires from start to finish to attract top-notch applicants, allow for streamlined communication and keep the process moving smoothly. Transparency earns candidates’ trust and respect while making the hiring process easier from the beginning.
- Job description: Allow the candidate to self-screen by providing a thorough description of the company and the work. Be sure to include pertinent information, such as a compensation range and the job type, including whether the job is temporary, seasonal, part-time or full-time.
- Interview process: Give the candidate clarity on what to expect during each stage, including a timeline and how they will be communicated with.
- Safety: During these unprecedented times, share the precautions the company is taking to ensure their well-being is a priority.
Part of getting to the job offer quickly is efficient recruitment and interviewing. Find success with candidate sourcing, applicant tracking, and onboarding using customization and automation features.
- Pre-screening questions: Knockout candidates that don’t meet certain criteria necessary for the job, such as the ability to work certain shifts.
- Templates: Pre-written job descriptions, communications, and job offers move candidates through the process without reinventing the wheel each time.
- Empower hiring managers: Customize user permissions to give hiring managers access to the information they need, then delegate tasks accordingly.
- Onboarding documents: Prepopulate important documents to scale the onboarding process, and ensure the proper information is shared with new hires.
- Employee referral program: Incentivize the existing base of brand ambassadors to source amazing new candidates. “Research has found that referred candidates are of higher quality than applicants from the general public and are more likely both to receive and accept an offer, stay at the job longer, and perform better.” (Harvard Business Review)
Follow these three tips for hiring seasonal employees to reduce agency fees, build an employee base that feels valued and eager to work, and fill a pipeline for the next time the need arises. Scaling up the workforce efficiently and quickly with exceptional employees requires fancy footwork. Be prepared and achieve Hiring Happiness™ this shopping season by putting the right partners, tools, and systems in place now.
Find Hiring Happiness™
Now, more than ever, efficiently scaling up hiring is a daunting task and we’re here to help you. With HiringThing’s easy-to-use yet powerful ATS, you’ll have the confidence you need to scale up quickly. Want to see how we can help you? Try our free 14-day trial today.